Lots of us will be getting out and exploring our spectacular coastline this summer.
Dramatic cliffs have been created by erosion and rock falls and landslides are part of this process.
Dorset County Council has issued the following safety tips:
- Stay away from the edge of the clifftop.
- Stay away from the base of the cliffs – rock falls can happen at any time.
- Always pay attention to warning signs.
- Be aware of tide times. The sea comes in and out twice a day and it’s possible to get cut off by the incoming tide.
- If you’re looking for fossils, do not hammer into the cliffs. The safest place to look for fossils is on the beach.
In case of emergency on the coast dial 999 and ask for the coastguard.