Warning issued after two recycling site fires

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to be careful about what they throw away during this hot, dry spell of weather.

Two recycling sites suffered significant fires this week) and, while the causes are unlikely to be established because of the scale of the incidents, the Service knows from experience that such blazes often start because of something that has been disposed of.

Area manager Craig Baker said: “We often see fires at recycling centres in the summer, as people get rid of disposable barbecues, used barbecue ashes and other high risk rubbish. Barbecues should always be completely cold before being thrown away and, ideally, the used coals should be drenched in water as well. Equally, where there is open land, we would urge people not to have camp fires and to be careful when disposing of cigarettes.”

Fire crews were called to the Canford Recycling Centre at Arena Way, Poole at 9.42pm on Monday and found a large single storey building used for storing waste well alight. At the height of the blaze, ten fire engines, three water carriers and other support appliances were in attendance.

Mr Baker said: “Although the fire is now under control, and we have scaled back our attendance, it is likely to be a couple of days before it has burnt out completely. There is still a lot of smoke rising from the site so local residents may want to keep doors and windows closed, especially if they have a pre-existing respiratory condition.”

On Monday afternoon, eight fire crews were called to Weymouth household waste recycling centre in Lodmoor Way, where around four hectares of waste ground and reed beds were alight.

The police helicopter attended at scene and assisted crews greatly by identifying how the fire was spreading and where to focus firefighting actions.